Tuesday, September 7, 2010

PRR 332 BLOG

For my blog I chose to focus on Sports Public Relations and the jobs, skills, scandals, and struggles that follow it.  I will deal in the broad sense and not limit myself to one team, sport, or University but rather cover sports as a whole.

Sports Public Relations practitioners are responsible for coordinating the flow of information from teams to the press and to feed the public's hunger for news, data and statistics on their favorite teams or athletes.  They are responsible for generating public interest in the organization and must deal with news media, supervise the creation and delivery of game programs, write press releases, maintain historical facts and respond to the media while putting teams and athletes in a positive light.  They must focus on crisis communication, reputation management, media tactics, audience research methods, community outreach and web technology.

I am interested in sports PR because I have a long history of athletics in my family.  My father played college football and attended training camp and preseason with the Greenbay Packers before suffering a career ending injury.  I was an avid high school athlete and have worked for ESPN for four years.  A lot of my best friends are college athletes who often have games broadcasted on television and I find that aspect interesting and fun.  I feel as though I have insider information in that sense and would like to explore that more.  Finally, it seems all of a sudden the sports world is being continuously shaken by scandal and controversy and I find it extremely interesting how negatives can be turned into positives and how it seems that athletes don't speak for themselves but rather let their team formulate their opinions.

Overall I think this will be a very interesting topic for me to investigate further.  I want to be involved in sports PR for a career and this will be the perfect learning tool.

No comments:

Post a Comment