Tuesday, September 28, 2010

The Many Voices of Sports

With sports Public Relations being the focus of my blog, I decided to look through other blogs to see if anyone was going with the same idea.  I came across two actually, and was thrilled to read them.  I was also surprised to see that all three sports PR blogs were done by girls, but we will get to that a little later.  Anyway, for my blog this week I decided to comment on posts by Mallory and Jess.

Last week, Mallory focused on research results performed in the NHL.  She had a very well written blog which, although was about sports and results, was very different from mine.  She followed a study that was conducted among the athletes.  This sparked an interest for me because I never really pictured the athletes participating in research.  I don't know why, it seems logical that the subjects of the show would be constantly researched, but nonetheless it was a new viewpoint for me.  For my blog last week I did research results based on Super Bowl viewership and how the ratings can increase sales for certain products.  Obviously Mallory and I took different approaches, but remained under the same topic which shows how versatile  Public Relations and research results can be.  One point that I really liked of Mallory's came towards the end of her blog.  She was commenting on how the results of the study were never posted and how they claimed further testing would be done but nothing had been released at that time.  She went on to tie that into the book and how we learned not to give all your research findings to the public.  I liked that she touched upon that because I realized how true, and evident that point is.  Very few research articles give you the exact findings or numbers, and for Mallory to be able to think of that while reading her article, and tie it back to the class was very impressive in my opinion.

Along with Mallory's blog, I looked at a second classmates, also focusing on Public Relations in the sports world.  Jess, like myself, wrote about football and the viewership it reaches.  Her blog for last week was focused the first Monday Night Football game of the 2010 season, then gave the history of the MNF game.  Jess and I were on the same page last week both referring to major games and highlights of football.  Every team obviously dreams of playing on the cold February night in the Super Bowl, which I touched on, and playing the MNF game of the week is an adrenaline rush for the players.  We also both touched on the history of the games and how they originated.  Lastly, we both commented on how there is a surprising viewership for those games.  I focused on how there is a drastic increase in viewership, and related it back to the commercials being an attraction for a different audience, but Jess took a different approach.  She was surprised to find that 40% of the viewers for MNF games were women.  We were both interested in our results, which ties me back to my comment in the beginning.  I mentioned earlier that I was surprised the three blogs on sports were done by women.  That coincides with Jess's results.  I think these statistics could prove that there is an increase in female particiapantes and fans of sports.  I'd be interested to see what research on this topic would result as compared to women viewership say, 20 years ago.

Overall, I really liked reading other peoples blogs and see what spin they took on the same focus.  I was really impressed with what I read and was interested to see all the different methods out there, and we didnt even touch the surface.  I'm going to continue to follow these blogs to see how the girls and I compare and contrast, but I must say, this week was my favorite post because of the research I got to conduct.

No comments:

Post a Comment