Tuesday, October 12, 2010

He Said, She Said

One of my favorite topics we have discussed thus far in class is unobtrusive research.  I find it so interesting since it is considered an expert research method, but it is essentially just spying.  For my research method presentation, I did unobtrusive content analysis, and found it to be actually one of the most accurate research methods.  You are naturally observing people in their habitat which means there are no influences.  I didn't realize how often I conduct this type of research until I truly understood what it was.

I looked at Lindsey's Blog and found that she related unobtrusive research to her actually internship experience.  I like that she was able to make a personal connection because I believe it makes it easier to understand.  She had real life experiences and struggles to offer which made her blog very interesting to read.  She also, like myself, didn't realize how often she conducted unobtrusive research.  It is such a common sense, mindless act, but such a dependable form of research.

Jordan's Blog also was a good example of professional use of unobtrusive research proving how accurate and reliable it is.  She talked about the American Cancer Societies campaign for Breast Cancer.  For such a serious issue it was interesting that they can conduct research without formally asking any questions.  The campaign wanted to know how many people donate and fund breast cancer awareness, and by doing that they observed the people and the number of participants in the walk.  It was a very simple way to get a conclusion about donations, and something I wouldn't have considered research.  To me, it seems as though it is standard procedure, but that is what is so interesting about it.  It is such simple, yet respectful method.

No comments:

Post a Comment